Marketing Coordinator (20-25 hours/week)
The Avalon Theatre seeks a skilled, savvy and outgoing Marketing Coordinator to join its staff for 20-25 hours a week.
The Marketing Coordinator works extremely closely with – and reports to – the Marketing Manager but also supports the Executive Director, Programming Director, Director of Development & Education and Theater staff for marketing-related activities.
As this person will take the lead on creating and editing nearly all of the Avalon’s communications copy, impeccable writing and an eagle-eye for proofreading are essential. The successful hire will also manage the Avalon’s social media, press, and grassroots community outreach. Thus, responsiveness, a passion for outreach and relationship-building skills are also key.
An ever changing film schedule often requires a fast turnaround for marketing and communications tasks. We are a small staff of mostly part-time professionals, which is to say: this is a role for someone who excels at getting their work to ‘excellent and finished’ in a fast-paced environment.
The successful candidate should also be tech savvy and comfortable with standard graphic design software, web updates and learning new interfaces and tools as appropriate.
- Serve as lead copywriter for all external communications.
- Update and manage the Avalon’s presence on social media sites, including paid advertising and promoted posts.
- Serve as primary liaison to press, write and distribute press releases, and assist in coordinating PR.
- Assist in producing multiple weekly email newsletters to promote the Avalon’s film schedule and special events.
- Maintain theavalon.org website with regular, frequent updates.
- Locate and edit film synopses for communications materials.
- Develop first drafts of materials that don’t have existing copy: special programs, press releases, fundraising materials, etc.
- Work from branded template designs to create signs, flyers, and other promotional materials to support film and event programming, theater promotions, fundraising efforts, and the Avalon Theatre Café.
- Update weekly Washington Post ad.
- Manage grassroots outreach and relationships for programs and special events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proficiency with Mac OS
- Proficiency with social media networks, including Facebook
- Proficiency with WordPress
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign (basic cropping, layout, formatting – including tracking and leading)
- Familiarity with basic HTML/CSS
- Familiarity with Mailchimp or other email service provider
- Proficiency with MS Office
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Highly organized.
- Able to juggle multiple priorities and changing circumstances.
- Able to spot and implement process improvements to increase efficiency and impact.
- Self-starter able to work with minimal supervision
- Team player, i.e. willing to enthusiastically support the work of other staff and departments
- Can-do attitude and customer service mindset
- Able to communicate in digital, written and spoken conversations in a professional, straightforward manner
- 3-5 years’ applicable experience.
- Bachelor Degree
Nice to haves:
- A background in film and/or cinemas.
- Graphic design, photography and/or video editing skills.
- Existing relationships with the media and/or various community interest groups.
Salary range: $20-$25,000 (negotiable depending on experience.)
Please submit a cover letter with resume and 1-2 short-form writing samples (up to a page, and/or 3-5 social media posts) to email@example.com.
Writing sample requirements:
- Non-academic (no school assignments, please).
- Not substantially edited by an outside party (proofreading is fine.)
- Social media posts must be written by you on behalf of an organization or event.