The Avalon Theater (“we,” “us” or “The Avalon”) is committed to protecting any personal information that you provide to us through web sites owned and operated by The Avalon, including www.theavalon.org (collectively the “Site”). We believe it is important for you to know how we protect your personal information to deliver you the best user experience possible.
The Site contains links to other web sites. Once you enter another web site (whether through an advertisement, service, or content link), be aware that The Avalon is not responsible for the privacy practices of these other sites. We encourage you to look for and review the privacy statements of each and every web site that you visit through a link or advertisement on the Site.
I. Information We Collect
We collect two types of information about you when you visit our Site: personally identifiable information and non-personal, aggregate information (such as information regarding the pages on our Site that you have visited and your IP address).
A. Personally Identifiable Information
“Personally Identifiable Information” is information that identifies you personally, such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, or company name. We collect and store the personal information that you have provided to us. Here are some examples of the ways in which we may collect your personal information on the Site:
• We may collect your first name, last name, and email address if you sign up for an online newsletter.
• We may collect your first name, last name, and email address if you register for an event on the Site.
• We may collect your email address if you contact us with a question.
The above list provides an example of the personal information that may be collected by The Avalon. From time to time, we may collect personal information from you in other ways that are not described above. If you do not want us to collect your personal information, please do not provide it to us. You are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the personally identifiable information that you submit to The Avalon.
B. Non-Personally Identifiable Information
“Non-Personally Identifiable Information” can be technical information or it can be demographic information, such as your age, gender or interests. Non-personally identifiable information does NOT identify you personally. Here are some examples of the non-personally identifiable information that may be collected via the Site and a description of how this information is used:
• Internet Protocol (IP) address: Your IP address is a number that lets computers attached to the Internet know where to send you data—such as the webpages you view. We use this information to deliver our webpages to you upon request, to tailor our Site to the interests of our users, and to measure traffic within our Site.
• Cookie: A “cookie” is a small text file that may be used to collect information about your activity on the Site. For example, when someone visits a page within the Site, a cookie is placed on the user’s machine (if the user accepts cookies) or is read if the user has visited the Site previously. You may set most browsers to notify you if you receive a cookie, or you may choose to block cookies with your browser.
We may provide this non-personally identifiable information to third parties. For example, we might inform third parties about the number of users of our Site and the activities they conduct while on the Site. We also may provide trusted partners with general information regarding our users and visitors.
Finally, The Avalon may combine any public information you provide in any of the public areas on the Site with non-personally identifiable information to create aggregate data. This information may also be disclosed to third parties. Aggregate data does not contain any information that could be used to contact you or identify you personally.
II. Use and Disclosure of Personally Identifiable and Non-Personally Identifiable Information
A. Personally Identifiable Information
We may share or disclose your personal information in the following instances:
• To fulfill a service to you. For example, we may use your personally identifiable information to contact you about products or services that we believe may be of interest to you. In addition, if you sign up for an event on the Site, we may have to use and share your information in order to fulfill this request. Finally, we may also use your personally identifiable information to send you newsletters, if requested by you;
• To contact you in response to sign up forms such as Contact Us;
• To ensure the Site is relevant to your needs;
• To help us create and publish content most relevant to you;
• To unaffiliated third-party service providers, agents or independent contractors who help us maintain our Site and provide other administrative services to us (including, but not limited to, order processing and fulfillment, providing customer service, maintaining and analyzing data, sending customer communications on our behalf, and entry collection, winner selection and prize fulfillment for contests, sweepstakes and other promotions);
• To comply with the law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary in order to conform to the requirements of law or comply with legal process served on us, protect and defend our rights or property or act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our end users;
• To third parties as part of any corporate reorganization process including, but not limited to, mergers, acquisitions, or sales of all or substantially all of our assets;
• To track and analyze non-identifying and aggregate usage and volume statistical information from our visitors and customers and provide such information to third parties; or
• To handle any physical or other type of threat made to you or others, to protect property or to defend or assert legal rights.
B. Non-Personally Identifiable Information
Non-personally identifiable information is used as described in Section II(A) and in other ways as permitted by applicable laws, including combining non-personally identifiable information with personally identifiable information.
III. Collection and Use of Information From Children Under the Age of 13
The Site is not directed to children under the age of thirteen and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of thirteen on the Site. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personal information from a visitor under the age of thirteen on the Site, we will delete the information from our records.
IV. Third Party Websites
This statement applies solely to information collected on the Site. The Site may contain links to other web sites such as payment processing pages for donations and online ticket sales. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these other web sites.
In the event that all or part of our assets or sold or acquired by another party, or in the event of a merger, you grant us the right to assign the personally identifiable and non-personally identifiable information collected via the Site.
No data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you understand that any information that you transfer to The Avalon is done at your own risk.
Once we receive your transmission, we make reasonable efforts to ensure security on our systems. We use firewalls to protect your information from unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of such firewalls.
If we learn of a security systems breach we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using the Site or providing personally identifiable information to us you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of this Site. We may post a notice on our Site if a security breach occurs. We may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us in these circumstances. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
VII. Updating Your Information and Contacting The Avalon
At any time, users may modify or delete their personally identifiable information from the database of the Site. To do so, please contact The Avalon at:
5505 Connecticut Avenue NW #226
Washington, DC 20015
Last Updated: 22 December 2009